With wonderful Rosemary prolific in my garden at present what better way to use it than in these delightful Vegan Rosemary & Poppy-seed Crackers.
One of the things I love the most about these crackers are their non-uniform shape. Thus making them great to make with kids.
You know when kids are rolling pastry and they roll it so thin, because they just keep rolling the same bit 🤣. Well, let them roll as thin as they like. That’s the secret of these crackers, you need to roll them thin to make them light and crispy!
However, they can puff up too and here’s a photo of the difference between a rolled dough that has not been pricked and a dough that has been.
Personally, I don’t mind a bit of puffing but they do look better when they have been pricked and stay flat! The truth is, I forgot to prick the poppy-seed dough but it turned out good in the end as I could show the difference. 😉
And look at this perfectly pricked one topped with my version of Vegan Le Roulé Cheese – yummy!
How to Make these Vegan Rosemary & Poppy-seed Crackers
First, you need to make the dough by rubbing the butter into the flour.
And get it to a breadcrumb consistency.
Then add the water and knead to form a dough. Once you have formed the dough, wrap in cling-film and chill for 15 minutes. Then divide the dough into two balls.
Taking one dough ball at a time, add the rosemary to one and the poppy-seeds to the other.
The Clever, No Mess Bit!
Then place one ball at a time on an oven tray liner, or a piece of parchment paper. Roll the dough as thinly as you can, trying to cover as much of the liner/paper as possible without tearing the dough.
The thinner the dough the lighter and crispier the crackers will be.
Then, either using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the rolled dough into square shapes. Be careful not to cut the liner/paper.
They do not have to be even, as giving them a misshapen look will make them more appealing.
Then prick with a fork so the air is released during cooking, thus giving a flatter appearance, and transfer, as a whole, to a baking tray.
Bake in the middle of a preheated oven for 10 minutes, until just starting to turn golden brown.
Whilst cooking, the crackers will separate and lift from the liner/paper.
Once cooked to a light and crispy texture, remove from the oven and just tip onto a wire rack to cool. It could not be easier!
Then serve with my version of an amazing Vegan Le Roulé Cheese!
I’d love to hear your thoughts if you try this recipe, so please leave me a comment in the box below.
Happy cracker making and ENJOY!
Vegan Rosemary & Poppy-seed Crackers
- per recipe
- 45 min
- 860 Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 125 g / 4½ oz plain flour
- 55 g / 2 oz vegan butter
- Pinch salt
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons water
- 7.5 ml / ½ tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ Fan/200℃/400℉/Gas 6.
- Step 2
- Place the flour, salt and butter in a large bowl and rub the butter into the flour to form a breadcrumb consistency.
- Step 3
- Add the water and bring together to form a dough.
- Step 4
- Wrap the dough in cling-film and chill for 15 minutes.
- Step 5
- Separate the dough into two balls.
- Step 6
- Add the rosemary to one ball and knead into the dough so it is evenly distributed.
- Step 7
- Repeat with the poppy-seeds and second dough ball.
- Step 8
- Take each dough ball in turn and place on an oven tray liner, or parchment paper, and roll the dough as thin as you can. Aim to fill as much of the liner/paper as you can without tearing the dough.
- Step 9
- Next, cut the dough into rough squares using a pizza cutter, or knife, but be careful not to cut through the liner/paper.
- Step 10
- Transfer, complete with liner/paper, to a baking tray.
- Step 11
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes until turning slightly brown.
- Step 12
- The crackers will separate and not stick so when removed from the oven, you can just tip them onto a wire rack to cool.
- Step 13
- Serve with my Vegan Le Roulé Cheese or my Vegan Mushroom & Almond Pate.