I just love plum tomatoes and they work so well in this Vegan Tomato & Red Onion Salad. It is so simple, yet elegant and gluten free too!
We have been lucky enough to travel to Spain several times and we really love the region of Andalucia. The city of Malaga is a favourite and being able to catch-up with young friends there. So, in these times of uncertainty around safe travel, the colours and flavours of this vegan tomato & red onion salad, especially with the garlic, really brings a little bit of Spain to our English table.
I have used smoked garlic but you can use un-smoked garlic, it will still taste delicious 😘.
Preparation is quick and easy!
Slicing the red onion and garlic as thin as you can, adds to the elegant look of this dish.
Leaving the onion and garlic to sit in the oil and salt for 20 minutes, allows them to soften and take any bitterness out before adding the tomatoes.
Once the tomatoes have been added and gently stirred in, the dish is ready to serve. Just add freshly torn basil leaves.
Vegan Tomato & Red Onion Salad - Gluten Free
- 30 min
- 81 Cals/Serving
- 1 small red onion
- 1 large clove smoked garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 300g plum tomatoes
- Fresh basil to serve
- Step 1
- Cut the onion into quarters lengthways and finely slice each quarter.
- Step 2
- Cut the garlic clove in half lengthways and finely slice.
- Step 3
- Place the extra virgin olive oil in a large bowl and stir in the salt. Add the finely sliced onion and garlic and stir to coat them with the oil and salt mixture. Set aside for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 4
- Next slice the plum tomatoes in half lengthways.
- Step 5
- Add the sliced tomatoes to the red onion and garlic and gently stir to evenly coat them with the onion, garlic and oil mixture.
- Step 6
- Serve immediately with freshly torn basil leaves.