When I was growing up, my mum always added sausage meat to the stuffing mix. So, when I am making stuffing for special occasions, I like to add a vegan substitute to replicate my childhood memories and to have a little part of my mum’s way of doing it. Therefore, I have made these Vegan Savoury Stuffing Balls with vegan mince.
They are really easy to make and only take 20 minutes to cook, and can be prepared ahead and stored in the fridge until needed. They can also be cooked and frozen, which is what I have done on many occasions.
If cooking from frozen allow an extra 8-10 minutes in a preheated oven. Or thaw and then reheat for 10 minutes to bring up to temperature before serving. You can also reheat in a microwave for 10-15 seconds per thawed stuffing ball.
By using vegan mince it will also add protein to your meal and lends a great texture to the stuffing balls. Also, the sage and parsley provide flecks of colour and a lovely combination of flavour.
How to Make?
If cooking straight away, preheat the oven as per recipe instructions.
The onion needs to be really fine so I always chop it in a food processor. It’s quick and achieves a fine, almost minced, chop which works perfectly in this recipe.
So, just peel and quarter the onion and process, in a food processor, for 5-6 seconds. It’s that quick and saves your eyes streaming!
Once you have processed the onion, melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion and minced garlic. Fry for 4-5 minutes to soften the onions.
Then add all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
I like to use a combination of ground almonds and breadcrumbs to help bind, add bulk, and additional flavour. Which also results in a really good texture.
Using your hands (I find this the best way of doing it), combine all the ingredients together.
If preparing ahead, you can either refrigerate the mixture together or divide it into balls ready for cooking.
When you are ready to cook these lovely and tasty vegan savoury stuffing balls, place them on a lined, or greased, oven tray and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.
You can either serve them in a warmed serving dish or they look rather nice stacked up!
Please leave me a comment in the comments box below and let me know if you like a little vegan mince in your stuffing balls!
Happy Stuffing making and ENJOY! 👍
Vegan Savoury Stuffing Balls
- 40 min
- 115 Cals/Serving
- 1 medium onion
- 30 g / 1 oz vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200 g / 7 oz raw vegan mince
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 55 g / 2 oz ground almonds
- 100 g / 3½ oz fresh wholemeal bread crumbs
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 50 ml / 1½ fl oz water
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ Fan/200℃/400℉/Gas 6.
- Step 2
- Peel and quarter the onion and place in a food processor. Process for 5-6 seconds until very finely chopped.
- Step 3
- Next, melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the onions and garlic, over a medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Step 4
- Remove from the heat and place in a large bowl.
- Step 5
- Add all the remaining ingredients, season with freshly ground salt and pepper, and, using your hands, mix until it all comes together.
- Step 6
- Roll into 12 even balls and place on a lined or greased baking tray.
- Step 7
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Step 8
- Serve as part of a roast dinner with potatoes and gravy.