This Vegan Quorn & Chickpea One-Pot is a great all-rounder. Full of protein, fibre, and yummy vegetables with vitamins and great textures!
Chickpeas really are, in my opinion, a Super Food. In their form as peas, their versatility is unquestionable, but add ‘Flour Power’ in the form of Gram Flour, and their versatility becomes endless.
So, I think it’s fair to say, their versatility has a massive ✔ against it.
And to make this Vegan Quorn & Chickpea One-Pot even more protein packed, I added some vegan quorn too!
But it’s not just about the obvious foods like quorn and chickpeas. With a varied diet, there are many vegetables and fruits that give us a great balance of protein, carbs, and vitamins on a daily basis. And that’s for whatever diet you follow, meat-free or not! We all need fruit and vegetables too.
Making this Vegan Quorn & Chickpea One-Pot is very easy and maintains the vegetables textures.
Quorn can be quite bland on its own, so start by making a stock with the gluten free stock powder and smoked paprika with the 100mls of freshly boiled water.
Please note that because of the vegan quorn this dish is not Gluten Free. However, I think that the vegan gluten free stock powder by MARIGOLD has the best flavour.
If you want to make this dish gluten free, you can just leave out the quorn – it’s still delicious!
The quorn pieces are usually rectangle-shaped so, when defrosted, I cut them in half to make them more cubed. But it’s entirely up to you whether you do this or not.
Add the quorn pieces to the stock to absorb flavour, and that’s why the recipe askes for them to be defrosted. This way, you can ‘soak’ them in the stock so they will not taste bland in the dish.
Whilst the quorn pieces are soaking up some flavour from the stock, melt the oil in a pan that has a lid, as you will need it later.
Add the leeks and carrots to the pan and sauté over a medium-low heat. The leeks should start to brown slightly and the carrots will be starting to soften.
Next add the baby corn and courgettes, along with the minced garlic.
I love baby corn in this type of dish and I like to slice it with a bit of a slant as I think it just looks nicer.
Continue to sauté for a few minutes more – the idea is to add the vegetables in order of how long they take to cook so they all still have a little bite to them. This is what makes the lovely textures in the dish.
Then add the chickpeas and quorn pieces, with any liquid that has not been absorbed and mix to ensure they are evenly distributed with the other ingredients.
This is when you need the lid for your pan. Increase the heat to bring to a simmer and cover. Reduce the heat again if necessary as you are looking to heat through the chickpeas and quorn and not overcook the vegetables.
By placing the lid on the pan, you will keep the moisture in which will help make the sauce when you add the cheese. Gently simmer for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat. Add the cheese and freshly ground salt and black pepper and stir in.
Adding the cheese will form a delicate sauce that coats the ingredients perfectly without them being drowned in sauce. This is because it mixes with the liquid left from the stock.
Now serve and enjoy!
Please comment below and let me know what foods you like to get your protein from! 💪
I am a bit of a carb lover, therefore, my Vegan Home-Baked Flour Tortilla Chips are favourite to serve with this dish.
Vegan Quorn & Chickpea One-Pot
- 35 min
- 473 Cals/Serving
- Print this
- ½ packet (140 g / 5 oz) vegan quorn pieces, defrosted
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon gluten free stock powder
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 100 ml / 3½ fl oz freshly boiled water
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 100 g / 3½ oz leeks, thinly sliced
- 100 g / 3½ oz carrots, diced
- 100 g / 3½ oz baby corn, sliced
- 100 g / 3½ oz courgette, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 50 g / 1¾ oz vegan soft/cream cheese
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons oil
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper to taste
- Step 1
- Start by making a stock by mixing the stock powder and smoked paprika in a jug with the freshly boiled water.
- Step 2
- Add the quorn pieces, stir and set aside.
- Step 3
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and carrots and sauté for 7-8 minutes, until the leeks have browned slightly and the carrots are starting to soften.
- Step 4
- Add the baby corn, courgette and garlic, stir and continue to sauté for 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat, if necessary, to low.
- Step 5
- Now add the chickpeas and quorn pieces, along with any liquid that has not been absorbed by the quorn. Increase the heat to bring to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow the chickpeas and quorn to thoroughly heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Step 6
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese with some freshly ground salt and black pepper.
- Step 7
- Stir and serve.