Pumpkin is such a versatile fruit so making these Vegan Pumpkin & Potato Rösti is a must at this time of the year.
Yes, I did mean fruit! However, they are more savoury than sweet and that’s why they are usually categorised as a vegetable.
Botanists refer to Squashes as fruits as they grow from the flower of a plant and not the seed. The seeds grow the plant that flowers, thus bearing fruit.
Check out more facts on the difference between fruits and veg at Goodhousekeeping.com!
Crispy on the outside and soft and tasty on the inside, I just love the combination of pumpkin and potato.
These Vegan Pumpkin & Potato Rösti are so easy to make!
With only 2 main ingredients and some vegan butter for extra flavour, they are an affordable dish that can be served as a side dish for many of your favourite meals.
I also like to leave the skin on the potatoes for this recipe mainly because I hate wasting anything, but they also add extra fibre to the dish as this is where their highest levels of fibre are.
Once you have grated the potatoes, melt the butter and sauté them for 1-2 minutes which allows the starch to release, which will help them stick together when forming them into a Rösti shape for baking. Yes, I like to bake mine rather than fry them. However, you can fry yours if you prefer.
Remove from the heat and add the grated pumpkin, stir, and season with a good grinding of salt and black pepper and leave to cool for a few minutes.
Ensure the pumpkin and potato are completely mixed so that you get an even distribution of both throughout the Rösti.
Once cool enough to handle, divide into 8 balls, and squeeze tightly so that the mixture sticks together.
Place on a lined or greased baking tray and squash down with the palm of your hand, thus making ‘Pattie/Rösti’ shapes. Then brush each one with the oil.
Bake in the top of the oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve hot.
I was ‘lucky’ enough to have a little helper when taking the photos for this post and she insisted on picking one of the very few flowers left in the garden to decorate the Rösti 🥰
Please comment below and let me know what you like to serve with your Rösti and if you tried out this recipe, how did you like it?
Happy Rösti making and ENJOY!
Vegan Pumpkin & Potato Rösti
- Makes 8 Rösti
- 35 min
- 57 per Rösti Cals/Serving
- 200 g / 7 oz Potatoes, skin on
- 150 g / 5¼ oz Pumpkin, grated
- 20 g / ¾ oz vegan butter
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper to season
- 15 ml / 1 tablespoon oil for brushing
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ fan/220℃/425°F/Gas 7.
- Step 2
- Grate the potatoes with the skin left on.
- Step 3
- Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the grated potato over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes until it starts to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Step 4
- Remove from the heat, stir in the grated pumpkin and season with freshly ground salt and black pepper. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Step 5
- Using your hands, divide the mixture into 8 balls. Squeeze each ball tightly so that the mixture sticks together.
- Step 6
- Place each ball on a lined or greased baking tray and gently push them down with the palm of your hand to form a ‘pattie’ shape.
- Step 7
- Brush with oil and bake in the top of the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Step 8
- Serve hot.