With a twist on Pigs in Blankets – a phrase I have never liked – these Vegan Parsnips in Blankets will make a perfect side dish for a roast lunch, especially on Christmas Day.
Very easy to make and perfect serving size. Another dish that can be prepared the day before and then roasted to finish off before serving.
Baby parsnips are great for leaving whole and the skin is young and they do not need to be peeled. To be honest, I don’t peel large parsnips either or take the core out. It’s best to use them within a couple of days of purchase and then the only waste will be if you top and tail them!
But with baby parsnips, they look great used as they are.
This is also a really good dish to combine with my Red Cabbage with a Nut Crust!
How to make these Vegan Parsnips in Blankets
Start by making sure the parsnips are clean then place in a large saucepan and cover with freshly boiled water and bring back to the boil. Then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and simmer for about 3-5 minutes. A knife should go through the parsnips easily. But you don’t want them fully cooked as they will continue to cook when roasted.
Whilst the parsnips are simmering, soak the cocktail sticks in water. This is so they won’t dry out and break off when you remove them after roasting.
Also, slice the vegan bacon to make 8 long strips.
When the parsnips are ready to be strained, plunge them in icy-cold water, or set them under a cold running tap for a couple of minutes to stop them cooking further. This will also make them cool enough to handle.
Wrapping the bacon around the parsnips
Preheat the oven and break the 4 cocktail sticks in half to make 8.
The best way to do this is to wrap the bacon so that it holds the first end in place and then roll the parsnip with one hand and the bacon strip with the other hand. Making sure the bacon strip moves up the parsnip as you go.
Once you reach the other end of the bacon strip, secure it by using half a cocktail stick.
Repeat this process with all 8 parsnips and then place on a lined baking tray and brush with the oil.
However, if you are preparing ahead, place the parsnips on a plate and refrigerate. Brush with oil just before roasting.
Roast in the top part of the oven for 20-25 minutes until they turn golden.
Happy parsnip blanket making 😉 and ENJOY!
Don’t forget to leave me a comment in the comments box below! Did you combine this dish with my red cabbage dish? I would really love to know if you did! 👍
Vegan Parsnips in Blankets
- 40 min
- 45 Cals/Serving
- 8 baby parsnips
- 4 slices vegan bacon
- 4 cocktail sticks, soaked in water
- Oil for brushing
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ Fan/200℃/400℉/Gas 6.
- Step 2
- Place the parsnips in a large pan and cover with freshly boiled water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes until a knife easily goes through the parsnips.
- Step 3
- Drain and submerge in icy-cold water to stop them cooking further.
- Step 4
- Slice the vegan bacon in half lengthways to make 8 strips and break the cocktail sticks in half.
- Step 5
- Taking one parsnip and one strip of bacon at a time, wrap the bacon around the parsnip. Wrap it so the first end of the bacon is secured as you continue to wrap around the parsnip. Secure the second end of the bacon strip with one of the halves of a cocktail stick.
- Step 6
- Place on a lined baking tray and lightly brush with a little oil.
- Step 7
- Place in the top of the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until the bacon is crispy and the parsnips are turning golden.
- Step 8
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish and serve as part of a roast lunch with roast potatoes, nut roast, and gravy, or with the dish of your choice.