Every time I cook potatoes I think to myself, ‘this is my favourite way to have potatoes’! And that’s the same every time I cook these gorgeous Vegan Herbed Mini-Hasselback Potatoes.
To be honest, I love potatoes so much, I don’t care how they come. But there is definitely something to be said about how hasselback potatoes look on a plate.
By slightly pre-cooking, you can reduce the baking time and it also means the potatoes absorb the lovely melted butter quicker as the flesh of the potatoes is already softening.
So make sure you cool them before trying to slice them so you don’t burn your hands. And use a sharp knife so you don’t drag the skin into the flesh of the softened potato.
As well as the tasty herbs, I have added some red onion that crisps up perfectly during cooking and makes these vegan herbed mini-hasselback potatoes even tastier.
Want to cook from raw?
In my recipe, I have slightly pre-cooked the potatoes. But if you want to bake them from raw, just allow a longer cooking time (approximately 10 minutes) before you add the butter with the herbs and onion.
To help make sure you don’t cut all the way through the potatoes, which I have done a couple of times, you can make it easier by placing a skewer in the potato first – see How to slice potatoes ‘Hasselback Style’.
Vegan Herbed Mini-Hasselback Potatoes
- 1 hr 10 min
- 247 (based on 2 servings) Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 6 (approximately 350g) baby potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon each of fresh rosemary and thyme, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Step 1
- Pre-heat the oven to 180℃ fan/200℃/400°F/Gas 6
- Step 2
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Step 3
- While the potatoes are simmering, place half the butter in a small saucepan and heat gently until it has melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4
- Drain the potatoes and run under a cold tap to cool to hand-hot.
- Step 5
- Place each potato in turn on a chopping board and place several even slices from the top down, but do not go completely through the potato.
- Step 6
- Put the potatoes in an oven-proof dish and brush with the melted butter, making sure it goes down in between the slices.
- Step 7
- Place at the top of the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Step 8
- Meanwhile, melt the rest of the butter and add the red onion and herbs.
- Step 9
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and brush over the melted butter, onion and herbs.
- Step 10
- Place the potatoes back in the oven, in the middle of the oven this time, and continue to bake for a further 25-35 minutes until onion is crispy and the potatoes are golden.
- Step 11
- Why not serve with Vegan Fennel & Caper Bake or as part of a Mezze or Tapas.