These Vegan Green Beans with Sesame-Seeds are seared with butter for extra flavour.
Originally created to go with a Tapas meal, they make a great side dish for many other meals too!
Just 3 Ingredients (and a little salt and pepper!)
Just a few sesame seeds and a good knob of butter makes these Vegan Green Beans with Sesame-Seeds, a fabulous tasty side dish.
However, I first started making these beans as a quick and easy dish to add colour and build a Tapas meal for sharing.
Sesame seeds are high in calcium, so they are a great way to add calcium to a vegan diet.
Make these Vegan Green Beans with Sesame-Seeds in less that 10 minutes
Start by dry-frying the sesame seeds.
You will need to get the pan nice and hot before adding the seeds and then keep them moving so they don’t burn. It only takes 30-45 seconds to achieve a lovely golden brown look.
Make sure you remove them from the pan or they will continue to brown from the residue heat in the pan.
I never use oil to do this as seeds, and nuts, have their own oils that are released when you fry them. If you add oil to the pan first, they could become saturated and will just stick together.
Next, melt the vegan butter in a large pan so you can coat the beans well and ensure even cooking.
Again, keep the heat up in the pan when you add the beans. It will only take 3-4 minutes to panfry the beans so they still have a little bite to them.
Remove from the heat and stir in half of the sesame seeds. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle over the remainder of the seeds. Serve hot.
Although I love them with salads, they are delicious with a roast dinner (especially as the days get colder).
I also like them as a side to my Vegan Sausage & Potato Bake, for some extra veg – Yummy!
Vegan Green Beans with Sesame-Seeds
- 10 min
- 125 (based on 2 servings) Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 10g Sesame Seeds
- 200g green beans
- 20g vegan butter
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Step 1
- Heat a dry frying pan and toss the sesame seeds over a high heat for 30-45 seconds, until golden brown. Remove from the pan immediately (or they will continue to brown and burn) and set aside.
- Step 2
- Wash and trim the stalks off the beans.
- Step 3
- Heat the vegan butter in a large frying pan, over a high heat, and add the green beans. Toss in the butter for 3-4 minutes to cook through but leaving a little bite to them.
- Step 4
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame seeds, leaving a few to sprinkle on the top.
- Step 5
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle over the remaining sesame seeds and serve hot.