This wonderful, self-saucing, vegan fennel & caper bake with super melting cheese is a great, serve in the dish, recipe for all fennel lovers.
But I wrote this recipe for my lovely friend Jodie. May you never leave a bulb of fennel in the fridge to wilt again 🤣!
With just a few ingredients –
you can make this wonderful dish with minimal effort!
Simply slice the fennel as thin as you can. This is so it will cook more evenly.
I have sliced it lengthways but it really doesn’t matter which way you slice.
The most important thing is to make the mixture for the sauce as smooth as possible. This can be achieved by adding the milk gradually and whisking it well to smooth out any lumps of flour.
There’s not much else to this dish other than adding the grated cheese and –
baking in the oven to create this fabulous tasty dish. And the sauce will thicken as it cooks 😊.
Please note – I used Applewood Vegan Smoked Cheese for this dish as it melts perfectly. And adds to the flavour too.
However, if you wanted to use this as a side dish to feed 4 people, you can always make one larger dish to serve on the table.
Vegan Fennel & Caper Bake
- 1 hr
- 285 Cals/Serving
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 20g vegan butter
- 20g gram flour
- 275ml soya milk
- 40g capers
- 60g vegan cheese, grated
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Step 1
- Pre-heat the oven to 180℃ fan/200℃/400°F/Gas 6.
- Step 2
- Thinly slice the fennel lengthways and arrange in two individual serving dishes.
- Step 3
- Melt the butter in a microwave-proof jug or bowl, and add the flour using a whisk to mix in.
- Step 4
- Add the milk a little at a time, making sure you whisk it until smooth. Add the capers and season with freshly ground salt and black pepper, and then evenly pour over the fennel in the serving dishes.
- Step 5
- Top with the grated cheese and bake in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the fennel is soft when tested with a knife, and the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.
- Step 6
- Serve with Vegan Salt & Pepper Potato-Wedges.