I created the recipe for this vegan cumin cobbler dough to make my Bean & Vegetable Cumin Cobbler. But you can use this dough for any cobbler recipe you are making.
This dough is really easy to make and is a great dough for preparing ahead, the day before if you want to save time.
Please note that, although I have said the dough will serve 4, when using with my Bean & Vegetable Cumin Cobbler with heart shapes I used nearly all of the dough for the 2 servings.
However, when rolling out dough and cutting in a normal round shape, the dough will make enough for 4 servings.
How to make this Vegan Cumin Cobbler Dough
Equipment you will need
Step 1 and 2. Mix the flours, cumin, and salt in a bowl that is large enough to get your hands into so you can rub the butter into the flour. You are looking to create a breadcrumb consistency when rubbing the butter in. You could use a food processor for this, but it is so easy to do, it really isn’t worth the washing up it will cause!
Step 3 and 4. Now stir the bicarbonate of soda into the cider vinegar. It will froth up straight away, so make sure you are either holding it over your dough bowl or use a big enough bowl that it won’t come over the top. I knew exactly how it would froth up and yet I still used a bowl that was too small – so learn from my mistakes! 🤣
Add this to the bowl with the milk and, using your hand, bring the dough together.
I like to use a term that I call ‘cleaning the bowl’, where all the flour has been absorbed and the bowl looks clean again. So when you can clean the bowl with the dough, it is ready to be gently kneaded for a minute or so.
And that’s all there is to it. You will have a softish dough that you can either use straight away in the recipe of your choice or store in an airtight container in the fridge for a day until you are ready to use it if you are making it ahead of time.
Other recipes with cumin
Did you make this dough?
If so, please leave a comment in the comments box below, I would love to know 👍👍
Happy Cumin Dough making and ENJOY! 😊
Vegan Cumin Cobbler Dough
- 10 min
- 900 per quantity Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 85g / 3oz plain wholemeal flour
- 85g / 3oz plain white flour
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Good pinch of salt
- 55g / 2oz vegan butter
- 30ml / 2 tablespoons soya milk
- 10ml / 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5ml / 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Step 1
- Place the 2 flours, cumin, and salt in a bowl and mix together.
- Step 2
- Add the butter and rub it into the flour between your fingertips until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
- Step 3
- Stir the bicarbonate of soda into the cider vinegar (it will froth up) and add to the bowl with the milk.
- Step 4
- Bring the dough together with your hand and gently knead for a minute or so.
- Step 5
- You can now use the dough for your chosen recipe. Or store in an airtight container in the fridge for a day, if preparing ahead of time.