I love this Vegan Courgette & Smoked-Paprika Soup, which is also gluten free, but I first tried Courgette Soup in 2012 whilst on safari in Kenya. At first, I didn’t have the soup course because I couldn’t believe that something that looked so creamy could possibly be vegan.
As the days passed and my husband and friends were enjoying the soup course, with other wonderful vegetable offerings as well as courgettes, the next time courgette soup was on the menu, I decided to ask if there was any dairy in the soup. “No, just courgettes” was the answer.
So I thought to myself, I am not missing out on this again, and I had the most gorgeous, creamy-textured soup I had ever had! So, naturally, when I returned home, I had to try and make my own.
In this recipe for Vegan Courgette & Smoked-Paprika Soup, I have left the skins on the courgettes which gives lovely green flecks in the soup but are still smooth in texture.
When to make?
This is such a simple and quick soup to make and really does suit any time of the year. But when better to make than when your garden is overflowing with fresh courgettes and the supermarket prices are low.
It can be served as a light first course at dinner with some home-made croutons, or a larger portion for a hearty lunch with chunks of crusty bread.
Vegan Courgette & Smoked Paprika Soup - Gluten Free
- 40 min
- 70 Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 800g courgettes chopped
- 750ml stock made with 3 teaspoons vegan, gluten free stock powder
- 150mls reduced fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1
- Place the chopped courgettes and stock in to a large saucepan, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 2
- Check that the courgettes are soft with a knife, especially the skins. If the knife does not go through the skins easily, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Step 3
- Add the smoked paprika and reduced fat coconut milk and continue to simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Step 4
- Remove from heat and blend with either a hand-held food blender, or use a food processor (depending on the size of your food processor, you may need to do this in batches).
- Step 5
- Serve with crusty bread and ENJOY!