These Vegan Cheesy Potato Pizzas are so colourful and delicious looking, it’s no wonder they are full of vitamins too!
Sweetcorn with its vitamin B9 (folic acid), amongst others, is especially good for expectant mothers. Bell peppers, especially the red ones, are high in vitamin A and C and have many more attributes.
Although I have categorised them as ‘party Food’, they are also great as a main meal when sliced lengthways and served with a mixed salad, giving you even more healthy vitamins and minerals.
But, whichever way you choose to slice the potatoes, they are super easy to put together and cook.
Why Potato Base?
I love the classic pizza base but sometimes it’s just nice to do something a little bit different. Also, these little potato pizzas make a great alternative for people who follow a gluten free diet.
And, potatoes have their own health benefits that shouldn’t be shrugged off! Check them out on www.healthline.com.
What’s more, they taste great, even more so when made into pizzas!
Making these vegan cheesy potato pizzas
Tips on potatoes
Please note that the recipe calls for pre-cooked potatoes and their cooking time is not included in the recipe time.
Also, they do need to be cooked whole and left to cool before slicing. The reason for this is because the starch in the potatoes is released when they are cut and it will make them harder to handle. They may also break up during the cooking process, rendering them unsuitable for the pizza bases.
I usually plan ahead and cook the potatoes the day before I want to make the pizzas. I just pop them in a saucepan whilst I am cooking something else. That way, when I want to make the pizzas I don’t have to allow the extra time.
They should be cooked to the point a knife easily goes through them but not too much that they become completely soft. Also, they need to be completely cold when slicing to prevent them from breaking up.
Preheat the oven as per recipe directions.
A 400 g / 14 oz potato should yield, minus the ends, 9 even slices.
Once you have sliced the potatoes and place them on a lined, or lightly greased, oven tray, mix the tomato and garlic purées together to form a paste for the potato bases.
Evenly divide and spread the paste over each base.
Then place the onion, red and green bell peppers and defrosted sweetcorn in a bowl and mix together. You will need to make sure that you dice the onion and peppers finely as there is no pre-cooking before placing on the pizza bases. Don’t worry if you haven’t pre-defrosted the sweetcorn as you can run it under a hot tap for a couple of minutes.
Then place equal piles of the filling on each pizza base and bake at the top of the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and divide the grated cheese over each part-cooked pizza and place a slice of pickled chilli on top (optional).
When choosing your vegan cheese, make sure it says that it is super melting, or similar, to ensure you get that lovely melted cheese effect that you expect from a pizza! 🍕
Return to the oven and cook for a further 5-8 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Then either serve hot or cold. I like mine with a salad! 🥗😊
Which way did you serve yours? Please leave me a comment in the box below 👍
Happy Pizza making and ENJOY!
Vegan Cheesy Potato Pizzas
- Makes 18
- 40 min
- 55 Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 2 large pre-cooked potatoes, whole with skin on (approximately 400 g / 14 oz each)
- 30 ml / 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 15 ml / 1 tablespoon garlic purée
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ green bell pepper, finely diced
- 80 g / 2½ oz sweetcorn, defrosted
- 55 g / 2 oz vegan cheese, that melts well
- 18 pickled chilli slices (optional)
- Step 1
- Pre-heat the oven to 200℃ fan /220℃/425 ℉/Gas 7
- Step 2
- Slice each potato in equal thickness to make approximately 18 pizza bases. I do not use the ends as they do not lay flat.
- Step 3
- Place the potato pizza bases on a lined, or lightly greased, oven tray.
- Step 4
- Mix the tomato and garlic purées together to form a paste. Place a spoonful on each slice of potato and spread evenly.
- Step 5
- Place the onion, red and green bell pepper, and sweetcorn in a bowl and mix together.
- Step 6
- Divide the mixture over each slice and bake at the top of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Step 7
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over and top with pickled chilli slices, if using.
- Step 8
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 5-8 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Step 9
- Serve hot or cold with salad, or as part of a buffet.