This really is the time to see fabulous Butternut Squashes in the supermarkets. And this Vegan Butter-Roasted Butternut-Squash Soup, with a little bit of warmth from cayenne pepper, is a great way to eat squash.
It does take a little bit longer than an ‘on-the-hob’ soup but is worth the wait.
Just 4 ingredients, it couldn’t be simpler!
How to peel and cut a Butternut Squash?
However, some people may be put off by the skin and find it too difficult to peel. But it really is quite simple. Just follow these guidelines on ‘How to’ peel a Butternut Squash, and you will have perfect Butternut Squash flesh in minutes.
For this recipe, you will need to dice the squash flesh.
Preheat the oven and place an oven tray in to warm through whilst you are preparing the diced squash.
Melt the butter, add the salt, and place in a large bowl with the butternut squash pieces.
Make sure all the pieces are coated with the butter and salt mixture and place on the pre-heated oven tray. If you pre-heat the oven tray it stops the food sticking to it as much as it would if you didn’t pre-heat it.
It will take about 45 minutes for the butternut squash to soften. But the best thing is that it starts to caramelise giving even more flavour to this delicious Vegan Butter-Roasted Butternut-Squash Soup.
To ensure even cooking, stir the butternut squash pieces 2-3 times during roasting.
Once roasted, transfer to a large pan and add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. But remember to only add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne to start with. You can always add more, but you can’t take it away!
If you find cayenne pepper too spicy, why not try some smoked paprika for a milder, yet still warm, flavour?
Blend using a hand blender, and add more water if you like a thinner consistency.
Serve topped with roasted seeds and slices of crusty bread for dipping.
Vegan Butter-Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 - makes approximately 1200ml
- 1 hr 10 min
- 224 Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 1 large butternut squash of at least 1.5kg in weight before peeled
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 30g vegan butter
- 500-800mls freshly boiled water
- Step 1
- Pre-heat the oven to 180℃ fan/200℃/400°F/Gas 6, and place a large oven tray in the middle of the oven to heat.
- Step 2
- Peel the butternut squash.
- Step 3
- Once peeled, chop in to 2-3 cm squares, you do not have to be precise, then place in a mixing bowl. Melt the butter and stir in the salt. Add to the butternut squash and mix to ensure all the pieces are coated with the butter and salt mixture.
- Step 4
- Place in the pre-heated oven tray and roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Step 5
- To ensure even cooking, stir the butternut squash pieces 2-3 times during roasting.
- Step 6
- Whilst the squash is roasting, mix the stock powder with 500mls of the the water and set aside.
- Step 7
- Once the roasted butternut squash is completely soft, transfer to a large saucepan, add the stock and ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, blend with a hand blender, and bring to a simmer.
- Step 8
- Check the consistency as you may need to add more water to get the soup to your desired consistency (l like mine quite runny so I add most of the remaining 300mls).
- Step 9
- You may also want to add more cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
- Step 10
- Serve with slices of crusty bread and top with roasted seeds. – enjoy!