I have never been to India but I love curries, especially this Vegan Spinach & Chickpea Curry, and the side dishes that accompany them.
So, putting great ingredients like spinach and chickpeas together to make a mildly spiced curry is a great way to enjoy the flavours of India wherever you are in the world.
This curry is so easy to make and takes hardly any preparation
You just need to roughly chop the spinach and onions and get cooking!
Add the ingredients separately allowing them to cook slightly, which will release their own lovely flavours into the curry and build the flavour as each ingredient is added.
Stir the spinach every few seconds to ensure all the spinach gets moved to the bottom of the pan. As a result, it will cook evenly.
Spinach & Chickpea Curry
- 35 min
- 421 Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 150 g / 5 oz spinach roughly chopped
- 1 400 g / 14 oz tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 400 g / 14 oz tin chopped tomatoes
- 15 ml / 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 30 ml / 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 30 ml / 2 tablespoons medium curry powder
- 15 ml / 1 teaspoon black onion seeds
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2.5 ml / ½ teaspoon salt - but generally add to taste
- Step 1
- Heat the oil in a wok and then add the chopped onion. Cook over low-medium heat for 5 minutes until the onion is starting to soften, stirring occasionally so the onion browns slightly but does not burn.
- Step 2
- Add the black onions seeds and yellow mustard seeds, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for a 1-2 minutes.
- Step 3
- Next, add the drained chickpeas and medium curry powder and stir over low heat making sure all the ingredients are coated in the curry powder. Cook for 2 minutes, increasing the heat if you need to as the extra ingredients will have cooled the wok slightly. Gently stir in the spinach, taking care not to crush the chickpeas, to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Step 4
- Add the garlic powder, chopped tomatoes, salt, and gently stir into the ingredients and bring the wok to a simmer.
- Step 5
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes to ensure all ingredients are thoroughly heated.
- Step 6
- Serve this delicious, mildy spiced curry with either rice, chapatis, poppodums, or a selection of other dishes.