These Roasted Butternut-Squash Skin & Seeds are a fantastic way to use up the leftovers after you have peeled your Butternut Squash.
Start by cutting the skin into bite-sized pieces and then mix oil and curry powder together to form a season for the skin pieces.
I have used curry powder but you can use your favourite flavouring e.g. cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper, etc.
Ensure the skin pieces are well coated.
Place them evenly on an oven tray and pop them in the oven to roast.
Repeat with the seeds – this time I have used smoked paprika. But again, you can use your favourite flavouring.
Put them on an oven tray and pop on the shelf in the oven below the skins.
By preparing the skins first, you should find that both the skins and seeds are ready to come out of the oven at about the same time.
The seeds are better left to cool, but the skins can be eaten both hot and cold. I find the texture of the roasted skins a bit like dried mango!
Want to know more about Butternut Squash?
The seeds look great in my Vegan Butter-Roasted Butternut-Squash Soup, and I even used the skins to scoop the soup up – YUMMY!
Roasted Butternut-Squash Skin & Seeds
- 1 hr
- Print this
- Seeds from one Butternut Squash washed and dried
- Peel from one Butternut Squash, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Step 1
- Heat the oven to Pre-heat the oven to 180℃ fan/200℃/400°F/Gas 6
- Step 2
- Use 2 tablespoons of the oil and mix the curry powder in a bowl.
- Step 3
- Add the skin pieces and mix to coat them.
- Step 4
- Place on an oven tray and roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until completely softened.
- Step 5
- Next, use the remaining oil and mix in the smoked paprika in a bowl.
- Step 6
- Add the seeds and mix to coat them.
- Step 7
- Place on another oven tray and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until crunchy.
- Step 8
- Turn the skins and seeds over on the oven tray 2-3 times during roasting time.