Well, I shocked myself the first time I made this Creamy Vegan Celery Soup!
Super smooth and Super Creamy, but no cream added!
For gluten free, use gluten free stock powder and just check there’s no gluten in the cheese.
With just 4 ingredients, it’s possible to make a really fabulous soup.
And if you are not keen on celery, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it – it really is that good!
How is this possible?
It’s all in the sieving! And make sure you get a head of celery that is not too green. The greener it is the tougher it is and tastes bitter.
Start by cutting the ends off the celery and washing it thoroughly.
Then slice it, including any leaves that are still on the tops of the shorter stalks. But leave half a stalk for dicing to decorate the soup when serving.
Melt the vegan butter in a large saucepan and sauté the celery for 10 minutes.
Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Once the celery is cooked, you will need to thoroughly blend it with a hand-blender.
You will find that there will be some ‘stringy bits’ from the celery around the blades of your hand-blender.
Carefully remove these and blend again, removing ‘stringy bits’ as before.
Now place the blended soup in a fine-meshed sieve, over a clean bowl or jug. You will need to do this a bit at a time unless you have a large enough fine-meshed sieve to get it all in in one go.
Push the pulpy soup through the sieve with the back of a spoon.
Make sure you get as much of the liquid through the sieve as possible – it’s too good to waste any!
Then add the cheese and blend again.
You are looking for a smooth and creamy texture.
It’s good to get a cheese that states on the packet something like ‘super melting’, as this will give better results.
As a variation, if you love spicy things as much as I do, I also make this with vegan Jalapeño cheese – it’s amazing!
If you want to make this Creamy Vegan Celery Soup ahead of time –
At this stage, you can set aside to cool and refrigerate until needed.
When ready to serve, return to a clean pan and heat through gently. Do not let it boil.
To serve, add freshly ground black pepper and diced celery. Try it with my Homemade Vegan Garlic Bread – Delicious!
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. 🥰
Creamy Vegan Celery Soup
- 2-3 (makes 600-800mls)
- 50 min
- 220 (based on 2 servings) Cals/Serving
- 1 head of celery
- 25g vegan butter
- 500mls stock made with 4 teaspoons vegan stock powder
- 80g cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper to serve
- Step 1
- Cut the ends off the tops and bottom of the celery. Wash the celery stalks thoroughly and slice. Save a piece to dice into small pieces for decoration.
- Step 2
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the sliced celery and sauté over a medium to low heat for 10 minutes.
- Step 3
- Make the stock by adding the stock powder to the freshly boiled water and whisk to mix in any lumps.
- Step 4
- Add to the pan, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 5
- Remove from the heat and blend using a hand-blender, until all the celery has been blended.
- Step 6
- Remove any stringy bits from the blender blades and blend again, removing stringy bits as before.
- Step 7
- Now sieve the soup into a clean jug or bowl, using a fine mesh sieve. Push the soup through with the back of a spoon, getting as much of the liquid as possible through the mesh.
- Step 8
- Scrape the bottom of the sieve with a clean spoon and discard any pulp remaining in the sieve.
- Step 9
- Add the cheese and blend again with the hand-blender.
- Step 10
- Place in a clean saucepan and reheat very gently, do not let it boil.
- Step 11
- Serve in warmed soup bowls. Decorate with freshly ground black pepper and diced celery.
- Step 12
- Serve with my Home-made Vegan Garlic Bread.