Avocado with Vegan Vinaigrette Dressing is one of my favourite ways to have avocado. However, every time I use Avocados in a recipe it makes me think of one of my beautiful granddaughters, Harriet. She absolutely loves Guacamole. But always asks me to go easy on the chillies 🌶.
No Chillies in this recipe but I have used tasty dijon mustard in the dressing to compliment the avocado.
I was brought up on a farm, which is one of the main reasons I first turned vegetarian and then vegan. As kids, we didn’t really know what avocados were, but they sure feature a lot in my life now, I am pleased to say.
Especially after my trip to Peru in 2006, to raise money for ‘Age Concern’ by walking the Inca Trail.
I was already a vegan by then and having eaten my body weight in Choclo (Peruvian corn-on-the-cob), (But it was delicious having it traditionally toasted in fire pits on the side of the road. Sin Queso, of course!) it was such a joy to be served avocado.
And I have been making my own version ever since and added the pine nuts.
Which Mustard is best for you?
I have suggested in the ingredients that you can use french mustard in place of the dijon if you want that lovely mustard flavour but prefer a milder kick to the dressing.
There are few recipes that are as quick, yet so satisfying as this very simple, yet healthy lunch. Despite the number of calories, avocados are full of ‘good’ fats and the pine nuts provide a good source of protein and fibre to make a balanced meal. Especially when served with a light salad.
This dish would also look stunning as a starter on a dinner table. But as it would be part of a three-course meal, you might want to use 2 smaller avocados, and then this recipe could feed 4 people instead of 2.
If you feel like saying ‘to hell with the calories’, why not add some of my fabulous Vegan Salt & Pepper Potato Wedges to this dish for a filling meal – Vegan Salt & Pepper Potato Wedges – Gluten Free 😉
Avocado with Vegan Vinaigrette Dressing Topped with Pan Toasted Pine Nuts
- 15 min
- 478 Cals/Serving
- 1 medium, ripe avocado
- For the dressing and pine nut topping
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 teaspoons dijon mustard - you can also use french mustard if you prefer it milder
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- freshly ground salt and black pepper to taste
- 15g Pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- Step 1
- Place the extra virgin olive oil, mustard and vinegar in a bowl and whisk with a fork until thoroughly mixed together. Then set aside.
- Step 2
- Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan, reduce the heat and pour in the pine nuts. Toss them in the frying pan for 30-60 seconds, ensuring they brown, but do not burn. Remove from the frying pan and leave to cool.
- Step 3
- Evenly cut the avocado in halve lengthwise, remove the stone.
- Step 4
- With a large spoon, carefully remove the halves, starting at the large end of the avocado halves and place each halve with the hole side facing downwards on your serving plates.
- Step 5
- Pour half of the dressing over each avocado half and sprinkle the toasted pine nuts evenly over both halves.
- Step 6
- Serve with a salad of your choice.